Monday, November 21, 2011

Si se Puede!!!

I've been busy in the last few weeks and I apologize for not getting back to you all. I promise I'll do better in the coming year.

Most of you are aware that my life off line is of an Organizer for a national community organizers network in Louisiana. My life consist of individual one on one meetings with prospective leaders of congregations and community groups, research meetings with local stake holders and gatekeepers, evening meetings with teams of leaders eager to organize, out of town seminars on becoming a better organizer, and action events designed to get a reaction out of elected officials.

The central tenets of Community Organizing revolve around the idea that real systemic change can be created by organized power, which is A) organized money and organized people. My job primarily has been to organize people around their self interest and personal values.

After months of engaging leaders around issues that matter to them, there have been two actions completed that have revolved around the interest of the churches that I work for: the repair of a local bridge in a Black community in Baton Rouge & the repair of a Historically Black cemetery.

Here is some of the press on the Bridge.

Here is a press clip of the Cemetery clean up (with yours truly in the photo gallery).

Finally, here is a clip of the ribbon cutting with Mayor Kip Holden & Council women Ronnnie Edwards.


2 comments:

E. Simpkins said...

I honestly love the work that you are doing!! The thought of community is something I live for!! I know it's hard work and you very rarely hear thank you but know that at least I appreciate the work you do!!

CDotCarter said...

Great post! You WILL come speak at my school one day.

*sidenote, don't ever say that I don't read your blogs again -_______-*