Sunday, August 28, 2011

Love & Happiness

The soulful melodies of R&B music acts as a lyrical metaphor for the joys and pains we experience from love. Each note fits together within a song like colors in an elaborate painting to present a auditory representation of the range of emotions experienced from love.

So the guitar and organ notes at the beginning of Al Green's "Love & Happiness" would be so much more fitting to explain my mood than the sentences that follows.

I got dumped by the women I was dating last week. I knew it was coming because I wanted to break up with her long before the ax finally came down on our relationship. And while I don't necessarily think this was the deepest or most loving relationship I've been in I still feel a wound that was left; albeit a small wound. But for anyone who has ever had a paper cut, you are well aware that even the small wounds hurt. Small wounds do heal & the barely visible scar will remind me of what not to do or what I should do the next time to not get that fucking annoying paper cut.

Ultimately, I'll chalk it up to the perils of a long distance relationship but much of it is a lesson on how little opposites really do attract. Polar opposites may attract with magnets but I can't reasonably believe that those diametrically opposed relationships are sustainable with people.

So much emphasis in relationship counseling is put on the idea of communicating the problems that you have to your significant other to achieve trust and connectivity. But what if you can't communicate because the person staring across from you is your complete opposite and can't empathize? How do you communicate with someone who doesn't understand you? Whenever I hear those chords and the soulful tones of Al Green's voice talking about a love that will "make you do right or do wrong", I think of all the complexity and possibilities that come with a harmonious relationship.  But I haven't seemed to grasp that type of love. It seems foreign and unrealistic. Fictional.


No comments: